How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29577
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On my 8863 in 2014 form i accidentally on the question "did

Customer Question

on my 8863 in 2014 form i accidentally on the question "did the student complete the first 4 years of post-secondary education before 2014" I put "yes" instead of "no," i received the life learning credit when maybe I should have gotten the American Hope Credit.... Do I have to amend my 2014 8863 form?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you qualify for the American Opportunity Credit (which is used instead of Hope credit) - and if you want to claim it - then yes - you would need to amend your 2014 tax return using form 1040X - and attach corrected form 8863.

Most likely - you will be getting additional refund.
Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you discover an error after filing your return, you may need to amend your return.

Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to correct a previously filed individual tax return.

Generally, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

File a separate Form 1040X for each tax year you are amending. Mail each form in a separate envelope. Be sure to enter the year of the return you are amending at the top of Form 1040X. The form has three columns:

  • Column A shows original figures (the original return) or adjusted figures (prior amendments or exam changes).
  • Column C shows the corrected figures (what they should be).
  • Column B is the difference between Columns A and C. There is an area on the back of the form to explain the specific changes you are making and the reason for each change.

Attach copies of any forms or schedules affected by the change.

For instance - in your situation - you will need to attach form 8863.

See Where To File in the Form 1040X Instructions for the address to mail your amended return.

As you are in Minnesota - use following address - Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Fresno, CA###-##-####

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.