How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29579
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tax question. if I receive a form 5498 IRA

Customer Question

I have a tax question. if I receive a form 5498 IRA Contributions information with $5736.42 entered in box 5 (fair market value) and in box 7 IRA is checked. How or where or what form do I use to report this on my tax return for 2015?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

That is for information only - which will only be used if you take distributions from IRA or are required to take distributions.

Otherwise - just keep that form with your other tax documents - and there is nothing is reported on your tax return.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Form 5498 summarizes IRA contributions, recharacterizations, conversions, and reconversions, and is the only information the administrator of your account reports to the IRS.

When you eventually will start distributions - you will receive form 1099R
When you will turn 70 1/2 - you will be required to take distributions - and you will use information form form 5498 to calculated RMD (required minimum distribution) amount.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.