Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was contacted by the irs to provide additional information…

Customer Question
I was contacted by...

I was contacted by the irs to provide additional information about my head of house hold return. I live with my parents but pay rent for my new born and I. My parents don't file tax returns since they are both on SSI. Is it possible for my parents to complete a statement saying how mush I pay in rent and my contribution to the household. And use this as proof of contribution as Head of Household.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/17/2016
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent

Hello, if you provided more than half the costs of keeping a home for your child, and your child lived with you for at least half the year (NA if born in 2015), then you would qualify for HOH.

In a case where you pay fair value rent to house you and your child, that rent would be the cost of keeping a home. Does that help?

Good flowchart below

http://vivianethompson.com/Head%20of%20Household%20Rules.pdf

Hello, did that answer your question? Please rate if so.

Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent