Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I deposited over $1800.00 in an IRA account starting in

Customer Question
2002. At that time I...
I deposited over $1800.00 in an IRA account starting in 2002. At that time I had started a new job with a new company. I found out in late 2002 that my IRA contributions could not be deducted from income because the company offers a 401k, to which I would be eligible to participate. I have now closed out the account and received the proceeds in 2016. When i file my 2016 return, how do I show the distribution as 'non-taxable?'
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/17/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

there will be two step verification.
1. If you contributed into the traditional IRA in 2002 and did not deduct that contribution - you woudl need to file form 8606 with that tax return reporting nondeductible IRA contribution. If that form was not filed - you woudl need to amend that tax return and add the form.

2. As you received distribution in 2016 - most likely the administrator will report total amount of distribution as taxable on form 1099R.
You woudl need to determine a nontaxable portion and report the total distribution on form 1040 line 15a, and taxable portion on line 15b.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Thank you. this is what i needed.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.