Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

This year I have 2 pensions that generate income. One is…

Customer Question
This year I have 2...
This year I have 2 pensions that generate income. One is from a QDRO, and is for repayment of back alimony...this was court ordered to repay this way. Is there any difference in my tax liability status?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/17/2016
Tax Professional: Lawrence D. Gorin, Tax Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Tax Attorney

Income that you receive as the Alternate Payee under a QDRO generally consists of pre-tax dollars. You would report this income on Lines 16a and 16b ("Pensions and annuities") of your Federal Form 1040, just the same as if you were a plan participant. This is the same way by which you report all other pension income. In essence, there is no difference in your tax liability status. CLICK HERE for info from IRS>

Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Tax Attorney