Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

The nc dept of rev took a large amount of $ out of my

Customer Question
Hi, the nc dept...

Hi, the nc dept of rev took a large amount of $ out of my account and i am trying to understand a few things as i work to get my money back

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

So basically they took around 12k out of my account saying i owed for past years but i didnt live in nc during the questioned time i lived in TX and TN which dont have state income tax

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/17/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you believe that NC department of revenue took the money by mistake you need to contact the ASAP. Sometimes tax department (IRS or state) levy a wrong bank account. You will get your money back if they made a mistake.

And if this wasn't a mistake and NC state levied your bank account because you didn't respond to their correspondence than it may take some time to resolve it. You will have to contact the department directly, find out why they believe you owe them and take appropriate steps to resolve it. An argument that you didn't live in NC at that time may not be enough. If you had NC source of income you will have to file NC tax returns as non resident.

That wasn't really my question, so they took a lot by not all of the cash out of my account. Do they usually take everything at once or should I expect more until I get this worked out??

It depends how much you owe. They will keep taking it until the debt is completely satisfied, including penalty and interest. I

The only way to stop it is to file offer in compromise or installment agreement. During pending OIC or installment agreement in place all collection efforts, including bank levy must be stopped.

Yeah, I guess I was wondering from your experience why wouldn't they take everything in my accounts and just leave 2k if I owed more, trying to get in touch with them but I live CA and travel so hours to reach them had been a problem.

Try the Taxpayer advocate services. They usually have extended hours and are more flexible: http://www.dornc.com/practitioner/taxpayer_advocate/index.html

You can also find a CPA or Enrolled agent who can call and deal with them on your behalf. You will sign type of power of attorney form to allow a tax professional represent you before IRS or state department.

Many retail tax preparation offices have an enrolled agent or cpa on staff. You can also find one here:

http://www.naea.org/

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.