Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My mom died in 2014. 2014 state income tax return, we

Customer Question
My mom died in 2014...
My mom died in 2014. For her 2014 state income tax return, we received a refund of $950. Is this considered income and do we have to file an estate tax return?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/16/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The state income tax refund or a part of it - may ONLY be considered a taxable income If your mother itemized on her 2014 federal tax return.

If the standard deduction was used on her federal tax return - that refund is NOT taxable.

Let me know if that answered your question or if you need further help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thank you. Yes, we did itemize her deductions in 2014. Really stinks because it was $950 and now we have to file the estate tax return.

There is a special worksheet which determines a taxable portion of that refund.

It is possible that not the full refund is taxable.
See the worksheet on page 24

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

By filing that worksheet - you will calculate a taxable part of that refund.
That would be the first step.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Otherwise,

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor