Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I was working oversea years. I returned in 2014 and started

Customer Question

I was working oversea for 5 years. I returned in 2014 and started to work in real estate. I did a tax return for that period July 2014 to June 2015.
I am still working and will complete a further return at the end of this financial year.
The tax office has written to me saying I didn't complete a return for 2009 to June 2014, when I was living overseas. What do I do please?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Australian residents working overseas must still declare all foreign employment income – even if tax was taken out in the country where it was earned.

If you’ve paid foreign tax on employment income or capital gains in another country, you may be entitled to an Australian foreign income tax offset.

You need to complete and lodge your returns for the years you were abroad.