Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I RECIEVED CP59
, I SEND THE TAX 2014 MARRIED FILINGT…

Customer Question
I RECIEVED CP59 ...

I RECIEVED CP59

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I SEND THE TAX 2014 MARRIED FILINGT JOINTLY ON 02/25/2016

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

INDICATED WHETHER ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CIERCUMSTANCE APPLY TO YOU

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/16/2016
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 2 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

HI

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you.

The IRS sends a CP59 letter when they have not received a prior year tax return. I'm guessing that the year in question is 2014 based on the information in your question.

There should be a phone # ***** the letter (usually in the upper right of the letter) It's possible that your return is there, but has never been acknowledged and added to your file. If that's the case, then the person that you reach when you call may be able to hunt your tax return down and get it added to your file. Knowing the date that you filed it will be a help. If you electronically filed your return you should have gotten an acknowledgement that the IRS received your tax return.

If the IRS did not receive your 2014 tax return for whatever reason, I would ask if I could fax them a copy of my return . If you don't have access to a fax machine at home or at your work, then I would mail the return again and send it via certified mail. (I always send things to the IRS via certified mail, even if the address is a PO Box)

Even though you already sent your return once, (and I understand your frustration at the thought of having to send it again), the CP 59 letter is merely asking you for a copy of your return....again. This is not a letter that is threatening any kind of action, and you are in no trouble. There could be a myriad of reasons why they might not have received this return, especially if you mailed it. However, once they receive another copy, you will have complied with their request, and you shouldn't hear from them again regarding this matter.

If you have further questions, please post them here and I'll be notified.

If this answer has helped you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.