Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My granddaughter goes to college in Duluth, MN. Her father

Customer Question
pays her tuition, insurance, housing...
My granddaughter goes to college in Duluth, MN. Her father pays her tuition, insurance, housing and food. She works parttime of other stuff. When she comes home on weekends, she stays at her father primarily or friends or me. She is 21 years old. Occasionally she stays with at her Aunt's where her mother resides. Her mother does not provide her any financial support. She was told that as long as she is going to college, her mother can claim her on her taxes until she is 24 years old. Is this true?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/15/2016
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent

Not necessarily. While going to college, a student does not need to live with the parent and no income limits apply up to age 24, however, the person must still provide more than half of the dependent's support. The mother for one would need to have paid more than the tuition, insurance, housing, and food costs the father paid. Does that help?

Did that clarify my answer? If so please rate as that is how I am paid.

Hello, did that answer your question? Please rate if so.

Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent