How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughter goes to college in Duluth, MN. Her father

Customer Question

My granddaughter goes to college in Duluth, MN. Her father pays her tuition, insurance, housing and food. She works parttime of other stuff. When she comes home on weekends, she stays at her father primarily or friends or me. She is 21 years old. Occasionally she stays with at her Aunt's where her mother resides. Her mother does not provide her any financial support. She was told that as long as she is going to college, her mother can claim her on her taxes until she is 24 years old. Is this true?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 1 year ago.

Not necessarily. While going to college, a student does not need to live with the parent and no income limits apply up to age 24, however, the person must still provide more than half of the dependent's support. The mother for one would need to have paid more than the tuition, insurance, housing, and food costs the father paid. Does that help?

Expert:  Mark D replied 1 year ago.

Did that clarify my answer? If so please rate as that is how I am paid.

Expert:  Mark D replied 1 year ago.

Hello, did that answer your question? Please rate if so.