Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If your husband makes less than fifty thousand a year, and

Customer Question
the wife pension is less...
If your husband makes less than fifty thousand a year, and the wife pension is less than twenty five a year, and the husband claim zero depends, zero state and federal all year, does the wife have to pay taxes on her pension?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/15/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

If the husband was claiming enough withholding for the amount to cover the total income then there may not be tax to pay.

If you file joint then all income is added together.

That means that the tax withheld may not be enough to cover all tax owed once the pension is added.

A quick calculation for tax on about $75,000 would be tax liability of $7,237 if filing joint with standard deduction.

You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Post and let me know if you need any clarification now that you have read my answer.

I’ll be happy to respond.

What other information did you require?

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4