Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I claim head of household with my father as a dependent.

Customer Question
I pay all household bills...
Can I claim head of household with my father as a dependent. I pay all household bills. He has social security of $12000 and a pension of $12000.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/15/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 year ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Q: Can I claim head of household with my father as a dependent. I pay all household bills. He has social security of $12000 and a pension of $12000.

A: Unfortunately, the answer is no. SEE BELOW:

-----------------------------

A dependent doesn't always have to be your child. Dependents come in all shapes, sizes and relationships. To be your dependent, the person needs to meet all five of these conditions:

• Relationship: The person lives in your home for the entire year and is considered to be a member of your household. If they don't live with you, they need to be related to you.
  • Income: Generally, their income is less than $4,000 (not including Social Security and welfare).
  • Support: Generally, you provide more than half the person's support.
  • Marital status: Generally, a dependent can't do their taxes with a spouse (married filing jointly). The also can't be a dependent on someone else's return.
  • Nationality: The person is a United States citizen; or a resident or national of the U.S., Canada or Mexico.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894472-can-i-claim-my-relative-or-friend-as-my-dependent

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant