How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a client that purchased a business about 13 years

Customer Question

I have a client that purchased a business about 13 years ago. He paid 100K for the business and then bought his own equipment which was depreciated over the years. He has now sold the business for $100K but getting installment payments and only received $20K for 2015. Did not sell assets but business only. Does he have to count the $20K as total income or can we offset with the cost basis?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you will need a cost allocation of the total purchase price. Both the buyer and seller must report this on Form 8594 and they must match. If you client sold intangible assets only, you will need to go back and see what amount of his purchase price was allocated towards these intangibles. Should be on the amortization schedule. The gain would be the sales price less the adjusted basis. To report the gain under the installment method, use Form 6252. You would only report gain on principal payments received that year. If to the taxpayer's advantage, you may also elect to recognize the gain in full in the first year. Does this help?

Expert:  Mark D replied 1 year ago.

Did that clarify my answer? If so please rate as that is how I am paid.

Expert:  Mark D replied 1 year ago.

Hello, did that answer your question? Please rate if so.