Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My name is ***** ***** and I am self-employed as a handyman…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** and I am self-employed as a handyman service. I repair and remodel homes. The supplies I purchase are charged within the totals due to customers. Is this expense deducted under Schedule C Part II line 22 Supplies as opposed to Part III Cost of Goods materials and supplies?

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/15/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 2 years ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Actually, it doesn't matter as long as you get a tax deduction for the expenditures.

If I were you I would include the materials in the Cost of Goods Materials & Supplies as they are billed to customers by figuring them in to what you are charging.

The Supplies category, line 22, would be used for general supplies that you aren't directly billing to customers; more along the lines of "overhead type" expenditures; perhaps small tools if you don't list them separately, paper supplies, possibly sandpaper, things such as that; often, on a major renovation a contractor will set up a separate account with his supplier & everything that is purchased for that job is re-billed to the customer, whereas the same type of expenditure may be classified as "supplies" when the purchase is not for any particular job.

So, the bot***** *****ne remains, as long as you are taking a tax deduction somewhere, that's what is most important.

Just checking in.............................

I see that you were able to review my response, but I don't see where you have asked any follow-up questions.

Do you have any additional questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response, as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert