Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My mother wants to gift 50K to each of her children. What…

Customer Question
My mother wants to gift...
My mother wants to gift 50K to each of her children. What will be the tax consequence to the gift?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/15/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

There will be gift tax reporting requirements - but most likely - there will NOT be any gift tax liability.

In the US - gift - is not taxable income for the recipient and you do not need to report it on the tax return.

There is no any amount limit.It does not matter how the gift is transferred - as long as that is a gift - there is NO income tax liability.

Please see for reference IRS publication 525 -

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

Gifts and inheritances. In most cases, property you receive as a gift, bequest, or inheritance is not included in your income. However, if property you receive this way later produces income such as interest, dividends, or rents, that income is taxable to you..

.

Another issue with gift tax...

Regarding your situation - if the donor (gifter) is an US person - the gift is reported on the gift tax return.

The gift below $14,000 is not taxable gift but when the gift is above that threshold - it is reported on the gift tax return - form 709.

Regardless - there will NOT be any gift tax liability as long as the lifetime limit is reached - that limit is $5,430,000 (2015), and $5,450,000 (2016).

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.