Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Worked different employers in 2015 have two separate w-2s do

Customer Question
worked for 2 different employers...
worked for 2 different employers in 2015 have two separate w-2s do I file them seperatley or add them together seperatley I get more of a refund help me out thanks***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/15/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 1 year ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by filing them "separately"?

Do you mean if you were to file two separate income tax returns?

If so, that isn't permitted. Only one return per person is allowed.

The reason it comes out better with two separate returns, is that you get double your exemptions & standard deduction.

You have to add all the figures together from the two W2s and file one Federal & one State income tax return.

It was a good idea, though. :]

Please remember to rate my response, as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Do you have any follow-up questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response, as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert