Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

This is about inheritance income. In Nov. 2014, my

Customer Question
father-in-law died. When I did...
This is about inheritance income. In Nov. 2014, my father-in-law died. When I did 2014 taxes I had 1099-R forms for income we got from his estate. One form from life insurance; one from an investment firm. My wife's sister was the executor for her father's estate. There were bank shares in my father-in-law's estate that he inherited from his wife, who predeceased him. I understand her sister went through a lot of red tape to find out who currently owned these shares. In December of 2015, United Community Banks, Inc. sent each of my father-in-law's surviving children a check for the shares. My wife was out of town when the check arrived in the mail and we finally deposited the check in January 2016. We have NOT received a 1099 or other tax form related to this income. Do I need to add this income to our 2015 federal and Pennsylvania state tax returns?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/15/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Adding the amount to your income depends on how the money was distributed. If the estate owned the shares and the estate sold then a K1 should be issued to your wife. The K1 would have information that would be reported such as gain or loss that was recognized.

K1s are generally not sen tout till March or even later so before you file I would suggest you contact the sister that took care of this and ask who is completing the estate return and when (if) they are sending K1s.

It could be that nothing is taxable to your wife but if you file and then get the K1 an amended return would be required of you.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information BUT if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!

Now that you have viewed my answer please respond

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4