How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15709
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim my mother in law? I have already filed MFJ and

Customer Question

Can I claim my mother in law? I have already filed MFJ and my mother in law has lived with us since Feb,2014 she does get social security but we do not charge for her living with us. She is 92 years old
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If your mother in law provides less for her support then you provide, you could claim her as a dependent.

If SS is the only income she has that does not count as taxable to her but it does count for looking at support.

I can give you a worksheet to list the amounts you both provide.

The worksheet is not sent with your return and if you already filed you can amend should it turn out that you can claim her.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information BUT if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please post below now that you have read the answer