Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I claim my mother in law? I have already filed MFJ and…

Customer Question
Can I claim my mother...
Can I claim my mother in law? I have already filed MFJ and my mother in law has lived with us since Feb,2014 she does get social security but we do not charge for her living with us. She is 92 years old
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/15/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

If your mother in law provides less for her support then you provide, you could claim her as a dependent.

If SS is the only income she has that does not count as taxable to her but it does count for looking at support.

I can give you a worksheet to list the amounts you both provide.

http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/ecbs/Tax_Dependent_Status_Worksheet.pdf

The worksheet is not sent with your return and if you already filed you can amend should it turn out that you can claim her.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information BUT if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!

Please post below now that you have read the answer