How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4675
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm ***** *****,
, My husband filed our taxes through s

Customer Question

I'm ***** *****,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My husband filed our taxes through his CPA. I have never seen them. Only signed the efile forms for the last 3 years. Can I request a copy from his CPA? And does she have to give them to me?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and saw your question. I can assist.

You do have the right to request copies of any document you signed from a CPA. They have the ethical requirement to produce documents for you.

There is another way to get copies of the tax returns. The IRS will produce copies of the returns and/or transcripts upon your request.

Start with these options. If the returns are needed for legal proceedings, attorneys can get the documents as well.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hired the CPA so should she still give them to me? We are in the middle of a divorce. His attorney filed to qwash a subpoena for the taxes over the last few years. If I go to his CPAs office do I have the right to ask for them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd rather not wait for the IRS to mail them to me at $57 dollars each. This is so much less complicated if she is required to give them to me
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

You should have led off with the divorce issue.

Legal rights in divorce typically include tax returns. However, if you are represented by counsel you need to let him or her make the request, and dispute the motion to quash. The CPA will have an issue with even discussing things with you, since you are represented by counsel. Your attorney must be allowed to do their work and pursue the returns through the courts.

I suggest you allow your attorney to do his job and fight the motion to quash, since he/she generated the subpoena. If you want to push things along, make the request of IRS and your state. The small fee will be with it, and your own CPA can likely get much of the material with a phone call or online access.

Good luck. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.