Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I work two jobs, one is a artist/photographer and the second…

Customer Question
I work two jobs, one...
I work two jobs, one is a artist/photographer and the second is a farm and housesitter where I stay overnights for months at a time caring for houses and folks with animals. I rent a barn apartment which is a large art studio, but stay there only 1/2 of the year. But, I travel back and forth to do the art in between the farm sitting business. Since I am away for 1/2 the year and sleep at another place and buy food, etc, can I write off the rent for farm sitting for that 1/2 of the year? I also know I can write off the studio because I work there every day but have a bed there for when I do not need to stay overnight at other houses.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/14/2016
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, you cannot write off your living expenses -- you can only deduct somewhere you are living if you are using a part of it 100% for business only -- and only the portion that has a business purpose. For example, if I had a table in my living room where I worked I could not deduct the area of my living room because it's also used for personal purposes. You cannot deduct the place that you rent, where you live half the year. I wish I had better news.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.