How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a client with an s corp, this company owns 10 van to

This answer was rated:

I have a client with an s corp, this company owns 10 van to transport clients , the same owner also has another company that is an 1065. She tranfer the vehicle title to the 1065 company i am assuming at the same price because they are the same owner at the end of the day, basically she transfer the vans to the other company, how do i get the asset out of the s corp which accounts do i use , and how do i get the asset in on 1065 which accounts do i use.

Hello, it would depend if the S-Corp sold the assets to the 1065 entity, or if she distributed the vans to herself and them contributed them to the 1065. Which happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she changed all the titles to the 1065 basically. the tittle was never under her name at any point.

Ideally, the 1065 would pay the S-Corp FMV for the vans. The 1065 would then use that purchase price as the cost basis to depreciate and the 1120-S would report the sale on Form 4797. You could book a payable and receivable until the transaction is paid. If no consideration is given, since to a related party, the distribution would still be recorded as sold at FMV, but it may convolute the cost basis to the 1065. This is why I would prefer the former.

Hello, did that answer your question?

Did that clarify my answer? If so please rate as that is how I am paid.

Hello, did that answer your question? Please rate if so.

Mark D and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you