Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I file a complaint against a former employer sending me…

Customer Question
Can I file a complaint...
Can I file a complaint against a former employer for not sending me a 1099 form for 2015? Is the employer required to send me a form as a contract worker?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/12/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Q1: Can I file a complaint against a former employer for not sending me a 1099 form for 2015?

A1: Well, there is no formal procedure to do this, you can write the IRS a letter with all the relevant information for the employer and indicate that they did not send you a Form 1099-Misc if they were required to.

Q2: Is the employer required to send me a form as a contract worker?

A2: If he or she paid you $600 or more, the answer is yes. If you did not earn that amount, then the answer is no. Whether you receive a 2099-misc or not, the income is supposed to be reported.

You can refer to the Form 1099-Misc instructions for more detailed information.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc.pdf

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant