How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15601
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have not filed a tax return since 2011

Customer Question

My husband and I have not filed a tax return since 2011 because we have no taxable income. In 2015 I won a slot for $1350 and have a Form W-2G. Do I need to file a return for this. I filled out a form and we did not owe anything.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


You would not have to file unless your income was at the amount that required you file.

If your income (combined) was less than $21,850 (and at least one of you was over 65) you are not required to file.

If they withheld any tax on that winning you can file and request a refund.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.