How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15312
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Relocated from MI july 2015.. with six months resdencey, why

Customer Question

relocated from MI july 2015.. with six months resdencey , why am i not elgible for the Homestead ...that I have received in previous years in Mi, at apartments for 7 years? I was told by many friends that i should have received half of the $1200.00 amount?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


You are allowed for a partial credit on the homestead rental as long as you lived there for 6 months or longer.

There is also the income calculation. Part year residents must annualize household income to determine if a credit reduction applies.

When you rent, use total rent paid, then prorate the first/last month based on days of occupancy to determine the total amount of rent that may be claimed for credit.

Your credit would be based on your MI income. Check your MI-1040CR, Part 3, to determine the taxes eligible to be claimed for credit on your Michigan homestead.