Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I previously had a career as a firefighter/paramedic years.

Customer Question
I previously had a career...
I previously had a career as a firefighter/paramedic for 15 years. I was injured on the job now medically disabled and I receive SSDI. I am in the process of starting my own consulting business and need help determining the proper classification my business should be under. LLC, C corp. Or S corp guidelines so that I don't violate any federal rules
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/12/2016
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

if you are self-employed, Social Security will assess whether your work is substantial gainful activity by using either the “Countable Income Test” or the “Three Tests.” Which test Social Security uses depends on whether your initial application is being evaluated or Social Security is reviewing your work activity after you’ve been receiving benefits.

The following link contains excellent information which you will find helpful:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/disability-benefits-the-self-employed.html

LLC and S corp is considered self-employment income. C corp is not considered self employment income.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you further. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me for a portion of the fee you previously paid.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent