Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I opened a SEP IRA in November 2015 with Betterment with

Customer Question
$10,000. I changed my mind...
I opened a SEP IRA in November 2015 with Betterment with $10,000. I changed my mind and closed the account less than 30 days later and the $10,000 was transferred back into my savings account. I will not be claiming the money as going into a tax deferred account on my 2015 taxes. Do I need to report this transaction and will I be taxed as if it were a disbursement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/12/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Distribution before the due date of the return is not taxable, however - that distribution will be reported on form 1099R.
You still will report it on your tax return - line 15a - as gross distribution and line 15b would be zero.

Additional form 5329 might be needed depending how distribution is reported on form 1099R (specifically - verify distribution code in box 7)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank-you

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor