Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What if you see a mistake in your filing statement to irs.

Customer Question
irs says that the tax...
what if you see a mistake in your filing statement to irs. irs says that the tax return is been process. what do i do to correct the return.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/11/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial & tax advice since 1986.

Hi, I can help here!

...

If you discover an error on your federal income tax return (IRS Forms 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) after having already e-filed or mailed it, you may file an amended return using IRS Form 1040X.

...

here's the form: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

The amended return cannot be e-filed; you must submit a paper version.

...

Now, if this is a simple math error, what generally happens is IRS will automatically make corrections and bill you for any additional tax required (or increase your refund). you ALSO DON'T need to file a 1040X if you forgot to attache tax forms or schedules to your return. The IRS will send a request if it needs them.

..

But if an employer had sent an incorrect W-2 form, orouy forgot to report self-employment income, or you incorrectly claimed someone as a dependent, you should really do the amended return so that you can show that you were not trying to hide something

Here's a good list of reasons you SHOULD file an amended return:

..

1. Received additional or amended tax forms or statements from employers, banks or investment brokers after you filed your return (e.g., W-2 or 1099 forms).
  2. Forgot to report income.
  3. Overlooked tax deductions or credits you could have claimed.
  4. Claimed deductions or credits for which you weren't eligible.
  5. Didn't claim a dependent you were entitled to, or claimed someone you shouldn't have.
  6. Chose the wrong filing status.

...

I sincerely ***** ***** has helped!

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS given you enough info, I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using that rating request or the stars on your screen)

...

That's the only way I'll be credited for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS