Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Im starting a business with 4 partners. How do we decide to…

Customer Question
Im starting a business with...
Im starting a business with 4 partners. How do we decide to be taxed as an s corp or partnership? We are in LLC, if that is relevant.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/11/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

That is not relevant for income tax purposes - but do relevant for employment or self-employment tax purposes.

In simple words - if net income generated by the LLC is relatively small - keep it as a partnership.

Also - if you are not sure at the starting point - keep it as a partnership.

But if the LLC produces substantial income - you might want to elect S-corporation tax treatment - that will add overhead - but allows some saving on employment taxes.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Otherwise,

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor