Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife and I bought a house at the beginning of this year…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I bought a house at the beginning of this year (2016). I put down our Earnest Money Deposit of $8500 in December though and was wondering if that is Tax Deductable?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No

Accountant's Assistant: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/11/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Earnest Money Deposit is fully refundable or it is applied top your purchase price as in your situation - but that amount may not be deducted on your tax return. Sorry if you expected differently.

That is not a payment - but should demonstrate good faith in your intention to complete the purchase transaction.

You will be able to deduct real estate taxes and mortgage interest on your 2016 tax return.

,

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 2 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

HI

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I have a different answer for you.

The earnest money that you put down on a home is generally NOT refundable. This money is used towards closing costs, and becomes part of the cost basis in your home.

If the deal falls through, you might receive a small portion of the earnest money back, but most of it remains in escrow, until you find another home. Please see below for more in depth information.

http://www.realtor.com/advice/finance/understanding-the-earnest-money-deposit-2/

If you have further questions, please post them here & I'll be notified.

If this answer has helped you, please rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.