How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rakhi.v Your Own Question
rakhi.v, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4543
Experience:  Have graduated in Law with specialization & emphasis in Financial Laws and has working experience of over a decade.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
rakhi.v is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to report my card stolen but do not know the number

Customer Question

I need to report my card stolen but do not know the number by heart.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: The name is***** birthday 07/04/1979, social###-##-####
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: No other than it is gone and I need a new one sent to me.
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  rakhi.v replied 1 year ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

No problems if you do not know the card number. The alternate method would be to find out any old statement of the account that you may have. Just react out to customer care number.

On that number, they have an option to identify you if you give them certain personal observation. Through them, you can put your request you block the card. You NEED NOT have the card number. They will do it for you.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,