Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have UK SS pension. Do I add this to my US SS pension when…

Customer Question
I have UK SS pension...
I have UK SS pension. Do I add this to my US SS pension when filing
or is it filed seperately as just another pension?
Many thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/11/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Your UK social security is treated the same way as US social security income.

If you receive US social security income you just add it together and report as one. The pension, however is fully taxable. You can include it as other income on line 21 or along with your other retirement income on line 16a and 16b.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

Ian, I received you attachments.

Let me clarify it. In US we have social security income and pension/retirement income. There are no "social security pensions" in US. After doing some research I discovered, that what you call "social security pension" in UK, is not a social security income, it is a type of defined benefits retirement/pension (pension you get for life, unlike 401K). Most of the industrial countries have some type of retirement income structure. Some are government payments, some are combinations of employee/employers savings. What you see in IRS publication is a very broadly described treatment of income received for your services after you retire. IRS publication cannot specifically address every single country and their retirement/pension/social security structures. You have to look into tax treaty to determine what apply to your specific country.

If you are UK resident, your pension is only taxed in UK (according to tax treaty). If you are US citizen, your pension is taxed in US. It will be reported as annuities/retirement income, line 16a+16b. If your pension is taxed in UK and US (in situation when income tax is withed by in UK and you are US citizen), you can claim foreign tax credit for the taxes paid to UK.

Hope this will help to clarify in.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser