Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I had to be flown to a hospital (off Lake in Utah) with a…

Customer Question
I had to be...

I had to be flown to a hospital (off Lake Powell in Utah) with a kidney stone and after it was resolved, I had to fly myself home at the cost of $700 because, well, they don't take you back to the middle of a lake to a houseboat. So is that considered medically deductible? Also, I haven't paid all the bills associated with that incident, can I deduct the the expenses associated with the Emergency Room and Air Ambulance even if most of it is going to be paid in 2016?

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

What other details are relevant? My car was up in Utah where we left with the houseboat, I got a kidney stone and had to be airlifted emergently to the nearest hospital which was about 100 miles south of where our boat was at that time, in Page, AZ. They discharged me 4 hours later after forcing some fluids and getting the stone to move. But suddenly, there I was in Page, Arizona, with nothing but my phone, wallet, and no way to get to my car (my friends drove it home to Denver for me), so I had to get a ticket in a puddle jumper next day to Phoenix and then to Denver. So the total cost was actually about $800 for the airfare back to Denver, my copay on the air ambulance is $2700 (the flight was about $26,000), and my copay on the Emergency Room treatment with the CT Scan, was about $600. I paid the hospital this month, but that's Jan 2016, I still owe Guardian Air Ambulance and am going to have to get a payment plan for that.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/11/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 2 years ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Yes the trip back would be deductible medical expense, as long as you paid the charge in 2015.

No. Only the expenses actually paid during 2015 would be deductible on your 2015 tax return.

Just Checking In.......I see that you have seen my response; are you having any trouble with the rating system?

Do you have any questions, or may I assist your further with your question?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much.

If you'd like to reach me again here at JustAnswer.com, just ask for "Steve G." at the beginning of your tax or financial question.