Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

What are the rules under Internal REvenue Code section 1014a

Customer Question

Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you.

Code 1014a states that the basis of inherited property is the Fair Market Value on the date of the death of the decedent, or if the executor makes the election, 6 months after the date of death by making the election (IRS Code Section 2032)

In the case of a surviving spouse, the spouse will inherit 1/2 of the property at Fair Market Value, and retains their cost basis in the other half.

If you have further questions, please post them here and I'll be notified.

If this answer has helped you, please take the time to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.

I see that you read my response but didn't yet rate it. Like all of the tax experts here, I strive to give excellent service here.

Do you have additional questions or do you need clarification on this matter?

I know that rating takes some additional time, but I would really appreciate your taking that time if my response helped you.