Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What are the rules under Internal REvenue Code section 1014a…

Customer Question
What are the rules under...
What are the rules under Internal REvenue Code section 1014a
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/11/2016
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 2 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you.

Code 1014a states that the basis of inherited property is the Fair Market Value on the date of the death of the decedent, or if the executor makes the election, 6 months after the date of death by making the election (IRS Code Section 2032)

In the case of a surviving spouse, the spouse will inherit 1/2 of the property at Fair Market Value, and retains their cost basis in the other half.

If you have further questions, please post them here and I'll be notified.

If this answer has helped you, please take the time to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

I see that you read my response but didn't yet rate it. Like all of the tax experts here, I strive to give excellent service here.

Do you have additional questions or do you need clarification on this matter?

I know that rating takes some additional time, but I would really appreciate your taking that time if my response helped you.

Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer