Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Trying to pay 1120s late fee charges, past due needed paid

Customer Question
trying to pay 1120s late...
trying to pay 1120s late fee charges
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: past due needed paid by 2/4 been trying to contact by phone but can't get anybody
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: company only h as 1 shareholder and they charged for 2
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/10/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 year ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

You would mail the late fee either the address indicated on the notice that you rec'd or to the address where you normally file your taxes. You cannot pay online.

Is this the first time that the company was late filing? If so, a first time penalty abatement waiver can be requested. SEE BELOW:

---------------------------

• The IRS’s first-time abatement penalty waiver (FTA), although introduced 12 years ago, is infrequently used by qualifying taxpayers. An FTA can be obtained for a failure-to-file, failure-to-pay, or failure-to-deposit penalty.
  • A taxpayer may claim an FTA for only a single tax period. To qualify, taxpayers must not have been assessed any other penalties of a “significant amount” on the same type of tax return within the past three years and must be in compliance with all filing and payment requirements.
  • IRS personnel use a decision-support software tool called the Reasonable Cause Assistant (RCA) to help determine whether a taxpayer is eligible for an FTA. However, the RCA has been criticized for yielding a high percentage of incorrect determinations of FTA eligibility that IRS personnel generally do not correct.
  • Through persistence, a practitioner can often persuade the IRS to reverse an initial incorrect determination that a taxpayer does not qualify for an FTA.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2013/jul/buttonow-july2013.html

--------------------------------

On the other hand, if this was not the first time, the late fee will have to be paid. As for the IRS imposing fees for 2 shareholders, this is likely due to their records showing that there are two shareholders, or it can be a mistake on their part.

---------------------------------

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant