Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Are Social Security benefits taxed in the state of

Customer Question
Louisiana?...
Are Social Security benefits taxed in the state of Louisiana?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/3/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

That is based on whether social security benefits are taxed on the federal tax return.
If a portion of social security benefits is taxed on the federal tax return - same portion is included into gross income for Louisiana state income tax purposes but is is adjusted under R.S. 47:44.2 Social Security Retirement Benefits

In additional - taxpayers 65 years or older may exclude up to $6,000 of annual retirement income from their Louisiana taxable income.

See for reference - §44.2. Federal social security benefits; federal and railroad retirement income exempt from taxation

http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2011/rs/title47/rs47-44-2

Any benefit received by an individual pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 7 of Title 42 of the United States Code (42 U.S.C. 301 et seq.), and any income received by an individual pursuant to a retirement system for retirees of the United States Government or pursuant to the Railroad Retirement Act of 1974 (45 U.S.C. 231 et seq.) shall be exempt from the state income tax.