Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband passed away on December 6, 2014. I have been

Customer Question
paying 255.00 a month on...
My husband passed away on December 6, 2014. I have been paying 255.00 a month on taxes. I honestly can't afford this any more. What can I do about this. i work a public job and my taxes break even.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/3/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Sorry for your situation.

If these payments are related to previously agreed installment payment plan - and your situation changed after that - you may go back to the IRS and ask to modify that installment agreement.

Another option - if because of financial hardship you are not able to pay your tax obligations - you might ask the IRS to assigned currently not collectible (CNC) status to your tax account. If the IRS agrees - that will postpone further collection action, but that will not resolve your underlying tax issue...

Let me know if you need additional details regarding that status

Otherwise -
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.