Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Kophy. My name is ***** ***** and my quester is about

Customer Question
Hi Kophy. My name...
Hi Kophy. My name is ***** ***** and my quester is about whether or not my estranged husband can use my taxes to find me.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I left him several years ago but I have been paying bills and filing a joint return up until now. I tried to get a divorce but he was going to file for spousal support so I dropped it and left. Now I'm filing taxes. I could claim his exemption since he has no income other than ss disability. However, I'm concerned that he would be able to physically locate me.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/3/2016
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for your question. As long as you do not file a joint tax return with him, he will have no information on you. The IRS takes your privacy very seriously and will not jeopardize your safety and tell him where you are. However, you would not be qualified to take an exemption for him unless you file a joint return. Then, he could possibly get your address but you could get around it by filing and using a PO box as a mailing address.

Please let me know if you need anything additional . If not, please rate positive.