How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15309
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother passed away in Aril of 2015. He had named me the

Customer Question

My brother passed away in Aril of 2015. He had named me the beneficiary of his retirement pension. I have been receiving monthly benefits checks and I have taken out federal and state taxes from each check. My brother worked in Chicago and I live in St. Louis. My questions is;) should I paying tax on this benefit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Yes, you are taxed on the pension just like your brother would have been taxed.

You will report the taxable portion that is shown on the 1099R that you will be sent. You are not taxed in Illinois only your home state of MO.

If you had any state taxes withheld other than MO you can file a nonresident return and request a refund.

Please accept my condolences on the death of your brother.

You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

After you view my response, please post below

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if my answer addressed your question

Related Tax Questions