Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My brother passed away in Aril of 2015. He had named me the

Customer Question
beneficiary of his retirement...
My brother passed away in Aril of 2015. He had named me the beneficiary of his retirement pension. I have been receiving monthly benefits checks and I have taken out federal and state taxes from each check. My brother worked in Chicago and I live in St. Louis. My questions is;) should I paying tax on this benefit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Yes, you are taxed on the pension just like your brother would have been taxed.

You will report the taxable portion that is shown on the 1099R that you will be sent. You are not taxed in Illinois only your home state of MO.

If you had any state taxes withheld other than MO you can file a nonresident return and request a refund.

Please accept my condolences on the death of your brother.

You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

After you view my response, please post below

Checking to see if my answer addressed your question

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4