Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How does the United States tax a Canadian if he is in the…

Customer Question
How does the United States...
How does the United States tax a Canadian if he is in the states over his 182 days. He is retired will not be working and does not own anything in the states. Just will be visiting family or vacationing.
Thank u Shirley from the u.s.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

If a Canadian is in the US for longer than the 182 days they are taxed as a resident alien from that day on. Income received prior to meeting the day mark would be Nonresident alien and only taxed on US sourced income. After that they are taxed on worldwide income unless they can show that their closer to connection to Canada over rides their stay in the US.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Now that you have viewed my response, please post below

Checking back to see if my answer addressed your situation