Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How do I replace a lost W2 tax form?

Customer Question
How do I replace a lost W2 tax form?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

The easiest way is generally to request the copy from the employer. They are required to retain copies.

If the employer is not available you can request an income statement from the IRS. It will list the payers for the tax year (all W2s, 1099s...) but it will only have federal information and no state.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4