Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If you claimed a opposite sex person on fed taxes does that…

Customer Question
If you claimed a opposite...
If you claimed a opposite sex person on fed taxes does that make you common law married ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Q: If you claimed a opposite sex person on fed taxes does that make you common law married ?

A: No. Following are the requirements to be considered being in a common law marriage in Texas.

Q: What is required for a common law marriage to be valid in Texas?

To meet the requirments of common law marriage in Texas the parties to the marriage MUST :

(1) agree to be married

(2) After the agreement live together, in Texas, as wife and husband AND

(3) "Hold Out" or tell others that they are married.

These three requiements must be present at the same time OR you may file a declaration of informal marriage.

Declaration of Informal Marriage

A good way to have an informal marriage recognized is to file a Declaration of Informal Marriage. A couple can do this to register an already existing informal marriage. This document only recognizes an informal marraige , the three elements mentioned above must be still be present.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://texaslawhelp.org/resource/informal-common-law-marriage-1

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Let let me know if you require further assistance with this matter. If not, please be so kind as to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Thank you.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant