How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3745
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you serve the U.S. government overseas and have your

Customer Question

If you serve the U.S. government overseas and have your children with you at post, are they not eligible to be taken off your taxes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

Please clarify what you mean by taken off of your taxes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see on turbotax that the deduction for each of my six children (all mine and my husband/none adopted) is $4000 each. However, it asked if we lived in the United States the entire time. My husband is a diplomat. They were with him and I overseas for 3 months. But, since we were on assignment for the U.S. government, they should still be eligible for the $4000 each off our taxes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am here. I was doing some reading. As the children are U.S. citizens, you are able to claim them. As this is a special circumstance, it might be in your best interest to add an electronic supporting statement explaining that you and your husband were out of the country on U.S. government business. Information on the webpage the following link should also be helpful to you.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.