How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced in 2015. Ex is appealing my settlement and

Customer Question

I was divorced in 2015. Ex is appealing my settlement and filed extension on filing our 2014 taxes, which we were to file jointly. I have heard nothing on decision on appeal. Not sure what I should do regarding filing for 3014 and 2015?. Should I wait till courts have made decision on appeal? How long can he ask for an extension?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

First of all - regarding of extension - you are already late for filing your 2014 tax return...
The IRS rules - if either spouse disagree to file a joint tax return - another spouse woudl not have any choice - but woudl be only able to file a separate tax return using MFS (married filing separate) or HOH (head of household) filing status depending on circumstances.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You may change your choice and amend the tax return to MFJ (married filing jointly) within allowed statute of limitation period (normally three years)

If the settlement directed differently - and your spouse disagrees - that woudl be a violation of the agreement - and you may sue her for damages - but that is a civil matter between you and your spouse.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.