Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I was divorced in 2015. Ex is appealing my settlement and

Customer Question
filed extension on filing our...
I was divorced in 2015. Ex is appealing my settlement and filed extension on filing our 2014 taxes, which we were to file jointly. I have heard nothing on decision on appeal. Not sure what I should do regarding filing for 3014 and 2015?. Should I wait till courts have made decision on appeal? How long can he ask for an extension?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

First of all - regarding of extension - you are already late for filing your 2014 tax return...
The IRS rules - if either spouse disagree to file a joint tax return - another spouse woudl not have any choice - but woudl be only able to file a separate tax return using MFS (married filing separate) or HOH (head of household) filing status depending on circumstances.

You may change your choice and amend the tax return to MFJ (married filing jointly) within allowed statute of limitation period (normally three years)

If the settlement directed differently - and your spouse disagrees - that woudl be a violation of the agreement - and you may sue her for damages - but that is a civil matter between you and your spouse.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor