How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15184
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking regarding deductible expenses J-1 visitor, US

Customer Question

Hello, I am looking for information regarding deductible expenses for a J-1 visitor, for his US tax return.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: more specifically, I would like to know if program costs and costs related to obtaining US visa would be deductible as itemized deductions.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


The cost to obtain a VISA are not deductible unfortunately on your tax return. I wish I could advise differently.

The IRS does not allow you to deduct USCIS fees from your income for tax purposes. Nor can you deduct the cost of legal representation for an immigration matter, as this expense does not meet the IRS guideline: a deductible expense must be directly related to the production of income.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking back to see if you needed clarification after you read my answer.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please respond