Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am looking regarding deductible expenses J-1 visitor, US…

Customer Question
Hello, I am looking...

Hello, I am looking for information regarding deductible expenses for a J-1 visitor, for his US tax return.

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

More specifically, I would like to know if program costs and costs related to obtaining US visa would be deductible as itemized deductions.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

The cost to obtain a VISA are not deductible unfortunately on your tax return. I wish I could advise differently.

The IRS does not allow you to deduct USCIS fees from your income for tax purposes. Nor can you deduct the cost of legal representation for an immigration matter, as this expense does not meet the IRS guideline: a deductible expense must be directly related to the production of income.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Checking back to see if you needed clarification after you read my answer.

Please respond