How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29964
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sik and I just received a lock in letter and also have late

Customer Question

hi, my name is ***** ***** I just received a lock in letter and also have late filings I need to address
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: in 2010 suffered minor heart, took time off, didn't go back to work until aug of 2011 and for poor reasons haven't filed taxes as I had small (less than $10k) of back taxes I had yet to deal with. Lost my job in May 2014 and didn't know how to set up payments for consulting work that I did afterwards. Finally have a full time job in nov of 2015. In Jan of 2016 received the lock in letter and reality starting to hit and I know I need to deal with
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You received this letter because we determined that you’re not entitled to claim exempt status or more than a specified number of withholding allowances.

Generally, your employer bases the amount of withholding for federal income tax on your Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate.

However, the IRS can review whether you are entitled to claim exempt status or a certain number of withholding allowances.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm needing more directional advice in how to get my past due returns compliant and how to negotiate any potential of penalties if I can make some up front lump sum payments
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

The first step is to request all information from the IRS about your tax obligations.
Generally - you may simply request your tax account transcripts fro past years.
You still may order the transcript online

and it will arrive to you in mail.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Another way - to use form 4506T

see mailing address in instruction on the second page - depending on your state of residency.

You will have separate transcript for each tax year - and verify your income reported to the IRS.

With all that information - you woudl need to prepare all your past returns - and calculate tax liability.

All tax returns must be sent to the IRS.

After that you may pay your tax liability in full OR you may negotiate an installment payment plan with the IRS.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.