Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a question regarding accounting tax.
, Yes. we

Customer Question
Hi!! My name is *****...
Hi!! My name is ***** ***** I have a question regarding accounting for sales tax.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. we are a restaurant and account for sales tax in a daily journal entry...debit cash, credit sales, sales tax payable (a liability), etc. But we only pay sales tax on a quarterly basis. Do I need to do a monthly adjusting entry to accrue the taxes collected but not yet paid?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2016
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent

Hello Lynne.

The daily entries will take care of the accruing liability. When you make a payment to the sales tax agency, it will decrease the liability. If you are doing daily entries, there should be no need for a monthly adjustment unless there was an error or for rounding. Does this answer your question?

Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent