Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I sold a rental unit in 2015. I purchased it in 2007 for…

Customer Question
I sold a rental unit...
I sold a rental unit in 2015. I purchased it in 2007 for $217,500 and sold it in 2015 for $194,000. My net proceeds are $183,302. Previous tax years (on Schedule E line 18 under expenses--Depreciation expense or depletion) show an amount of $4842. What is my capital loss? Do I need to deduct this amount (for each year 2007-2015) from the cost basis? Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

In the sell of rental your cost is the purchase price plus improvements less depreciation.

Your basis would be $217,500 -$4842 (this needs to be the depreciation in every year that you claimed) = 212658

Your difference in that and the sale price is the loss or gain

212,658 - 194,000 = 18658 loss

All the depreciation claimed is added back for calculating the basis to start.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

You sent me to a page to pay (which I already did before you started this chat)--please let me know what's going on...

I did not send you a page to pay. I have only sent you an answer and added the request to rate positively (Smiley Faces or Stars).

You DID send me a page to pay. Then I got a message saying I had already paid. I still haven't gotten the full answer I am seeking. Please reply.

All you have to do is tell me what else you need to know. I am happy to continue.

The full depreciation (all form every year has to be subtracted form the purchase price. So let's continue from there.

The full depreciation (all from every year has to be subtracted form the purchase price. So let's continue from there.

I do not know anything about an additional message from the site. I can only see this thread here.

I don't fully understand your answer. Do I deduct the depreciation ($4842) for every year and subtract that from the selling price? If so this would wipe out any capital loss. Is this correct?

If each year you took $4842 for depreciation then the total amount is subtracted from your purchase price.

If you started the rental in 2007 and you were able to claim $4842 in 2007 and then the same amount each year while it was rental (8 years of depreciation only because I know that first year you were not allowed the full amount) then you had $38736 used in those years as depreciation.

You have to subtract that from the purchase price.

217,500-38736 = $180764 as your BASIS

You sold for 194,000 so you had a gain. 194000 - 180764 = 13236

You have to subtract the true amount of depreciation you claimed on that house. I have just used these numbers as an example.

Checking back to see if you were finally able to calculate your true basis for the rental.