Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can a transportation driver (contracted by jail) who travels…

Customer Question
can a transportation driver for...
can a transportation driver for inmates (contracted by jail) who travels out of town for work but does not stay over night, claim per diem??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

You would not be allowed a per diem for meals and lodging if you are not away from your home overnight.

The per diem is meant to cover your costs for not being able to make it back to your tax home because of travel.

If this contract requires you use your own vehicle, you can claim mileage or actual costs for the use of your vehicle in transporting the inmates.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Now that you have viewed my response, please post below