Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Have not claimed income house in last 12 years.House

Customer Question
have not claimed income for...
have not claimed income for rent house in last 12 years.House belonged to my wife before we were married.It was placed in a trust to keep her ex-husband from laying claim of ownership.Should I start paying taxes and if I do what are the chance of being audited for past years?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Now, I'll answer a question you didn't ask, (what would I do).

...

I would report it. and go back and file for seven years (the length of time IRS usually keeps a return open and accessible) taking all of the legitimate deductions I could ...

...

But that's me :0)