Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I lived in san diego first 9 months of 2015 but did not work…

Customer Question
I lived in san diego...
I lived in san diego for the first 9 months of 2015 but did not work and do not have a W2. Since october, I have been in Tampa and working and have a W2 for those three months of work. Do i have to file in California since that was my address as of Jan 1 2015
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You might want to file CA tax return as a part year resident - and you woudl be ONLY taxed on income from CA sources or income you received while you were a resident of California.

If you permanently moved out of California after the first 9 months of 2015 - you woudl only report income you had during these first 9 months of 2015.
If you had no income during that period - you are not required to file California tax return.

A part-year resident is any individual who is a California resident for part of the year and a nonresident for part of the year.

How California taxes residents, nonresidents, and part-year residents
•California residents - Taxed on ALL income, including income from sources outside California.
•Nonresidents of California - Taxed only on income from California sources.
.

If you were a part-year resident
AND
Your total taxable California income was more than the amount defined here
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2015_California_Tax_Rates_and_Exemptions.shtml#ifr
Then
You must file a California income tax return
.
Total taxable California income includes both of the following:
•Income from all sources while you were a California resident.
•California source income while you were a nonresident.

So far - based on your information - you are not required to file California tax return.