How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived in san diego first 9 months of 2015 but did not work

Customer Question

I lived in san diego for the first 9 months of 2015 but did not work and do not have a W2. Since october, I have been in Tampa and working and have a W2 for those three months of work. Do i have to file in California since that was my address as of Jan 1 2015
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You might want to file CA tax return as a part year resident - and you woudl be ONLY taxed on income from CA sources or income you received while you were a resident of California.

If you permanently moved out of California after the first 9 months of 2015 - you woudl only report income you had during these first 9 months of 2015.
If you had no income during that period - you are not required to file California tax return.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

A part-year resident is any individual who is a California resident for part of the year and a nonresident for part of the year.

How California taxes residents, nonresidents, and part-year residents
•California residents - Taxed on ALL income, including income from sources outside California.
•Nonresidents of California - Taxed only on income from California sources.

If you were a part-year resident
Your total taxable California income was more than the amount defined here
You must file a California income tax return
Total taxable California income includes both of the following:
•Income from all sources while you were a California resident.
•California source income while you were a nonresident.

So far - based on your information - you are not required to file California tax return.